When packing for a multi-day conference in Las Vegas, one usually thinks of
the basics; underwear, socks, t-shirts, toothbrush, etc. Packing is no easy task
these days. With rising baggage check rates and limited overhead storage on
planes, it’s vital that a traveler make the most of the space in the luggage. To
help you avoid agonizing over what to bring and what to leave at home, I’ve
compiled a helpful list for men and women of what to bring to
Pubcon Las Vegas 2011.
- Two pairs of jeans. I can pretty much guarantee you will get one of them dirty,
so be sure to bring a back-up so you don’t go around stained for two days.
- One pair of dress pants. Whether they are khakis, slacks or tuxedo pants, be
sure to bring one nice pair. A lot of Vegas venues have dress codes and you
don’t want to be left out in the cold due to a lack of slacks.
- One blazer. This one is two-fold. First of all, it can get cold in the
convention center and a blazer is a little snazzier than a hoody. Plus, you can
put it over a plain colored t-shirt with your slacks and — viola — you are
- Two pairs of shoes. Of course, you’ll want your comfy Converse, Vans or boots for
daily wear at the conference. But be sure to pack one dressier pair, either some
classic loafers or a simple slide-on. They’ll work with your jeans and of course
- 8 — 10 shirts. I know that seems like a high number but trust me, you’ll be changing. After a day at Pubcon, you’ll probably want to change to go out. Plus, there’s a good chance you will spill something on yourself at some point and you don’t want to have to wear a dirty shirt. A good mix of t-shirts and polo shirts will be perfect.
- Three bottoms. Whether you want to do three pairs of jeans, two pants
and a skirt, or three skirts or dresses, bring at least three things to wear on
your bottom half. Variety is the spice of life.
- Two dresses or dress tops. Like the men, you’ll have to abide by the dress code
at certain Vegas venues. Jeans and t-shirts aren’t going to cut it, so be sure to have a
cute dress or a pretty top for going out.
- Two or three pairs of shoes. A pair of good day-to-day shoes is a must. No, flip-flops don’t count. They are terrible for your feet when you are walking as much
as you will be in Vegas. I highly recommend Vans if you are wearing jeans, or
some comfy ballet flats with skirts. For going out, feel free to bring your
favorite heels but remember to put some After Flats in your purse for the trek
- Two sweaters. It can get pretty chilly in the Las Vegas Convention Center, so bring
something to keep you warm. I recommend two since, again, getting dirty is
always my main concern.
- Moisturizer. The dry climate in Vegas can be brutal on your skin, especially
the delicate skin
on your face. While body lotion is available anywhere — there’s
probably some in your hotel room! Moisturizer is a little harder to come by,
especially the good stuff, so be sure to bring plenty with you.
- The most important thing to remember when packing for Pubcon is to make sure that each piece has multiple uses. Can you wear that shirt with your slacks and your jeans? Will that skirt be okay with flats and heels? Also be sure to bring extras. There’s nothing worse than running out of clothes and having to shop on a trip — unless you are me — then shopping is always a good thing. Happy packing!
- Fashion Blogger Cathy Benavides Video Interview on Spring Fashion at PubCon Austin 2011
- Krista Neher’s Rocking Pubcon: How to Get More Out of Conferences
- Michael Dorausch’s Five Pubcon Badge Essentials
- Market Street Media’s 10 Ways To Avoid Dying At Pubcon Las Vegas 2011
- Heather Lloyd-Martin’s 15 Tips For A Successful Pubcon Conference
- Dr. Peter J. Meyers’ Seven Tips For Surviving Pubcon
- Lane R. Ellis’ You Never Know Who You’ll Run Into At Pubcon
- Lane R. Ellis’ Handy Getting Around Pubcon Guide
- Lyndon Reid’s The Conference Goers Packing List
- Loren Baker’s 10+ Tips For a Pubcon Vegas Newbie